Thursday, October 11, 2007

Escape to Colorado












After I got fired (oh yeah I got terminated, irreconcilable differences) I found out Maria was driving to Colorado to "surprise" her mother with her visit (only maria). It sounded like a good idea. We were going to leave at 4 am. I figured as a friend I could not let her drive there alone. So I said sure, this will be a test. If we can make it to Castlerock and back the curse would be lifted. As we've yet to make this drive successfully.

Turns out my plan of partying all night and sleeping through til Kansas was ill conceived at best. Maria was ready to go around noon. But before we left were intoxicated by the sweet smell of roasting bratwurst mingling with local artwork. So before we left for our 13 hour journey we strolled up and down the tower grove neighborhood association art fair. Yes we matched, and The Ryan had a team clone tshirt on so had to get a photo.

There is something spiritual about dropping your sense of urgency and just letting things happen enjoying each thing with out thinking about the next thing until its happening. Traveling with maria calls upon my mightiest power of non urgency.

We had to ask our waitress at the Bobber cafe to take a photo with us because she was so incredibly nice. When we got the salmon cakes she substituted for the salad of the 18oz steak meal we were splitting, they were terrible. Inedible. We felt bad. So bad in fact that I wrapped up the cakes and made a quit trip to the bathroom where i stashed them in the bottom of the trash so that Kathy would think we enjoyed them to the last crumb. Making it back to the table just in time for our .25 steak. Yum. Sort of. Hey it wasn't D&H what can i say.

The rest of the trip was quick. The 89 BMW with temp tags and no radio made the trip like a champ. We checked the oil, added fuel injector cleaning fluid, and oil stabilizer, and transmission something or the other. And I watched the temperature gage like it was my job. I read out loud from Dale Carnegie's "How to Make friends and Influence People". Got in around 2 am. Stayed for a day and left Monday. Besides being almost ran over by a semi after maria called fire and made me change lanes and a minor misdemeanor or two the trip went pretty smoothly. Which reminds me.... i need a lawyer.

No comments: